The Jaded Court

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Jaded Court is an immersive Role Playing Guild in Everquest II spanning all three factions.

Basic Communication Guidelines

Supreme Being
    Supreme Being
    Caliph

Basic Communication Guidelines Empty Basic Communication Guidelines

Post by Supreme Being Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:11 am

In Role Play, just like in life, communication is KEY to someone understanding your thoughts, your ideas, your feelings, and your story. In any kind of written communication you will find yourself using all those skills you learned in the early years. Punctuation, spelling, and grammar.

While Role Playing, it is -essential- that you at least use punctuation in your posts. Whether they be in emotes or in say. The reason for this is to avoid miscommunication, unnecessary drama, and general confusion. Here are some examples as to why capitalization and punctuation are so important:

Let's eat Granny!
    That's right, we're gonna cook our Granny and chow down!

Let's eat, Granny!
    Come on Granny, let's get our grub on!

Same words, but with an added coma, two completely different meanings.

i will be on later tonight and if you dont see me then send a tell to support our troops will make you keeper overnight

I followed up until 'send a tell' and then HUH?

I will be on later tonight and if you don't see me, then send a tell to Support. Our Troops will make you Keeper overnight.

This person will be online later tonight but if I don't see them, I need to send a tell (whisper) to someone named Support. The troops will make me a Keeper (rank) overnight!

Ah! With proper capitalization and punctuation, this makes -so- much more sense.

Emotes are something many role players use to denote an action or happening:

Sasha wrinkles her nose.
    Jane taps her foot.
    Betty tenses as the ground begins to shake.

Many times, role players will add onto those emotes with spoken words. When doing this. It is ESSENTIAL that you separate your emote and your spoken words with quotation marks. You can generally find the quotation mark on your keyboard next to the enter key. It is the apostrophe key. Shift + ' = ". If you fail to use the quotation marks, then someone will be unable to respond to your words because... well, you never said them.

sasha wrinkles her nose ew what smells in here
    jane taps her foot-nice beat
    betty tenses as the ground begins to shake/here comes another one

If you can understand these at all, they can be seen as 'thought emotes'. Thought emotes denote what your character is thinking, but is pretty much useless in live role play as most people can't read your thoughts.

Sasha wrinkles her nose. "Ew! What smells in here?"
    Jane taps her foot. "Nice beat!"
    Betty tenses as the ground begins to shake. "Here comes another one!"

With the proper punctuation, using capitalization and punctuation make it far easier for others to understand.

We do encourage everyone to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling. We do understand that mistakes will happen. We don't expect you to be perfect. But we do ask that if you are going to actively role play, to do so with thought and consideration to your fellow role players by doing so in a manner that makes it easier for them to understand you. All we ask is that you at least give it an effort.

IC and OOC communication

On most role play servers it is internationally understood that all text is In Character unless denoted by the ((parenthesis)) symbols or in a specified out of character channel. Shift + 9 = (, Shift + 0 = ). Please try to be conscious of when you are speaking IC and try not to mix it with OOC chatter without the (( and )).

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:20 am